Christmas Hat Day

Christmas Hat Day
Mandatory good cheer on our annual shopping trip to buy for each other

Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Ben & Jerry's Not So Sweet

The other day I was going about my business, cleaning up the kitchen. I went to throw something in the garbage & there it was........an empty Ben & Jerry's ice cream container. In MY garbage can! My stomach clenched up & I felt a flash of heat creep up my neck. Now, I thought, jane probably just doesn't know any better. I'll just have to talk to her about it when she gets home.When I explained to her the reason that I DO NOT allow Ben & Jerry's in my home and saw the shock on her face it occurred to me that there are a lot of people out there who don't know what their money is supporting when they purchase a Ben & Jerry's product. Now, I believe in making informed decisions. I will tell what I know & show you where to get more information. If you still feel that there is no reason to boycott Ben & Jerry's, then by all means, eat up. I just can not allow my brother in blue to be disrespected due to a lack of knowledge.

Here's a link to the website telling Daniel Faulkner's story, if you want to hear the whole thing:

http://www.danielfaulkner.com/

In a nutshell, part of the profits for Ben & Jerry's sales goes to the legal defense fund for Mumia Abu-Jamal, the convicted killer of Officer Daniel Faulkner in 1982. By all official accounts, the murder of Officer Danny Faulkner was a clear cut case. The murderer was caught at the scene and readily identified by witnesses to the whole incident. The only reason Abu-Jamal was not sentenced to death was because of the wording of the jury instructions. Abu-Jamal has taken on a cult celebrity following due to his charismatic nature.

"Truth has been damned and fantasy has become fact. It is the weight of this coalition, built by the supporters of this killer, that demands that organizations such the Grand Lodge of the Fraternal Order of Police also weigh into this fight in an effective and substantial way. It is our responsibility to Danny, and all the fallen officers he represents, to assure that the public knows the truth about this incident and that substance will prevail over celebrity. Maureen Faulkner, Danny's widow, cannot do it alone. The Philadelphia and Pennsylvania FOP Lodges cannot do it alone. The financial and public relations resources that have come together to render aid to this common killer with the uncommon knack for propaganda, are too much for any one group to face alone. It will take the effort of all the members of the FOP from across our country. We must all become aware of the facts of this case. We must speak out so that the truth is heard. Danny Faulkner was a good and decent man and an honorable police officer. He was brutally murdered and his killer is Mumia Abul-Jamal. This is a time when justice demands that no honest man sit silent." Excerpt from danielfaulkner.com


It is completely unacceptable that the person who gets the most attention in this case is the cold-blooded murderer and not the hero, a police officer who put his life on the line every day. So, this is why Ben & Jerry's ice cream puts a bitter taste in my mouth. The website also lists other supporters of Abu-Jamal that I ask you to reconsider supporting. I hope others join me in supporting the memory of Daniel Faulkner instead.

11 comments:

plainjane said...

I will never buy it again! Promise!

Armyguy said...

Now that's the soapbox girl I know and love... you tell em baby

Anonymous said...

BEN & JERRY donate to enviroemnatlsts groups and so i,ll not ever eat BEN & JERRY ice cream i would even refuse a free sample and these enviromentalists want to run the farmers off their land and turn it into some damn wildlands something the nazis wanted

Anonymous said...

I know this was an old post, but I was surfing and found it...you should check out Ben & Jerry's latest flavor, celebrating gay marriage. http://adweek.blogs.com/adfreak/2009/09/ben-jerrys-celebrates-gay-marriage-in-vt.html

It's great ice cream, but never again...i promise.

Unknown said...

Thanks for the comment and the new info!

Brooklyn Blood said...

Exceptional post! I am a retired NYPD police officer - I have written B&J and have received the same form letter stating that their owner signed the petition as a private citizen - that's a crock. He can do that but must expect people to be critical of his philosophy, thus hurting his sales. I have been on cruise ships where they sell B&J - my son since a very early age knows NEVER to ask for, or eat B&J ice cream. In our family honor and loyalty reign supreme - obviously in the Ben and Jerry community they’re just a bunch of charlatans and liars in profusion! Thanks for your web site!

Anonymous said...

The murderer sits down on a curb with a gun in his hand, and with 20 witnesses watching, and says, "Yes, I killed the m***** f*****, and I'd do it again."

Why is "charisma" considered a mitigating factor?

Anya K said...

I just saw this site. We have boycotted them for years and continue to do so.

tauburn said...

There was no legitimate investigation. The scene of the crime was not correctly examined, the cops used dirty tactics and the whole case was fueled by racism and denial.

Witch Doctor said...

tueburn, I hope you would remove your insensative comment. It is NOT funny. If that was your intention it is in poor taste. If you were being sarcastic, I missed that too.

Uncle Dave said...

Ben Cohen is at it again!! During the 2015 Ben & Jerry’s Global Franchise Meeting this weekend, co-founder Ben Cohen launched into a fiery speech on the recent spate of police shootings of unarmed African-American men. In it, he encouraged independent branches to sell “hands up, don’t shoot” T-shirts at their shops across the country.

Back in the 1980's when I first heard about the murder of Officer Daniel Faulkner, I refused to buy thier ice crap. This latest report only serves to renew my disgust of these people and their company.

See the video at http://www.vocativ.com/usa/race/ben-and-jerrys-hands-up-dont-shoot/

Please remember that the perp' Michael Brown NEVER put his hands up and said, "Don't Shoot". That was a fabrication by one of the witnesses and discredited by almost all of the other witnesses.

And thank you for having this web site and getting the word out.
- Uncle Dave
South Florida