Christmas Hat Day

Christmas Hat Day
Mandatory good cheer on our annual shopping trip to buy for each other

Sunday, May 4, 2008

A Stern Talking To by DH

I was informed by my DH (Dear Husband-Sorry, I do tend to slip into FlyLady speak at times; I've truely been FlyWashed) several times over the last 3 or 4 days that I have not been keeping up on my blogging. I guess I just haven't seen the need to do so, since we have been able to speak via the phone and webcam so much lately. However, I was also informed that he is not the only one who reads and enjoys my point of view. Now, I'm not so sure about that all the time. I do tend to get on my soap box now and again, but I guess it's my blog and I can write what I want to, huh? LOL Anyway, to appease my sweetheart I thought I would check in today.

Let's see-Last Thursday I went to Bushnell to have dinner with Drake & Ashtyn and the rest of the clan. Ashtyn had come home from school early with a fever and a sore throat, so she spent the day at Steve and Jean's. She still was not feeling good and went home instead of having dinner with us. Steve had some emergencies in town that day and wasn't able to join us right away, but we still had a good visit. The town sure has made Dade and I feel right at home. :D I was supposed to pick the kids up for the weekend on Friday, but Ashtyn was still not feeling good, so we had to cancel.

I took Dade to the Prismatic Laser Light Show at his school Friday night. He came home very excited, telling me all about the performance that he had seen at school that day. I do have to say that it was quite impressive. I was expecting to see just a bunch of lasers whirling around and a smoke show. It was very well done. Not the type where you see the laser beam, just the pictures that the beam makes from moving around so fast. Dade's favorite from the school day was a song from Shrek. Tonight, however, he decided that the Army one was his favorite. The end of the night they played God Bless the USA and had pictures of all the hardworking people in the US and some of our military. Dade said, you know what my favorite was, Mommy, when the Army man raised his hand up. He was talking about the salute. Sometimes the simple thought that comes from a 5 year old can really make your heart swell. I was very proud of him.

Speaking of that, after over a month of trying, Dade has finally started talking to Brent on the computer. I think he always felt a little awkward talking to a computer, but he actually has had a few conversations with him lately. I know Brent has been happy about that. Dade still has a hard time sometimes understanding that Brent really is gone for a long time. He asks a lot of questions like whether Iraq is another country, what language they speak there, how come the time there is different than at home, and why they wear those robes (from the picture on Brent's blog). We bought a globe and Brent gave me the idea to shine a flashlight on it so Dade would understand the time difference. Just when I think he is starting to comprehend a little more he will ask another question. Like the other day, Dade wanted me to point out Iraq. We've put a star where Camp Echo is and I showed it to him. He says well, at least he can go swimming. I started laughing and said no, he's in the desert, there's nowhere to swim. Yes, there is, Mom. There's water right there. So, next time Brent wants to take a dip he just has to travel all the way through Saudi Arabia to the Red Sea. Shouldn't take long at all, LOL.

I know I have a bunch of anecdotes about Dade, but honestly, I don't have a lot of time with Drake & Ashtyn lately. Plus, it's just so fun to look at the world through the wonderous, knowledge thirsty eyes of a child in kindergarten. One other little story that had me ROFL was when I asked Dade about his day one afternoon last week. We talk every night about the school day and I don't accept answers like "Fine" or "Nothing." I'm preparing for the teenage years, lol. He goes into this long explanation....Boys don't chase boys and boys don't chase girls. Girls don't chase boys and girls don't chase girls. It's not good to chase someone, unless you are playing tag. Three first grade boys were chasing me at recess. His eyes are wide and he just doesn't believe that kids would do this-it's breaking the rules!!! (I've raised a true rule follower, that's for sure). Well, why were they chasing you? To get the gold. Now I'm confused. What gold, I ask? He bows his head and sticks his lip out...They think I'm a leprechaun. His heart is about broken. I felt like a terrible mom, but I started laughing. Here he is traumatized and I'm laughing at him. So, I sucked it up and we had the conversation about how some kids can be mean and that what they did was not very nice....

So, that's pretty much things on my end for now. I'm usually sleeping, working, talking on the computer with Brent, or thinking about doing one of those 3 things. Not real exciting. My free time now has been occupied by chatting on the new forums that FlyLady has set up. It's allowed me to make friends all over the world in similar situations to mine. Third shifters, military wives, etc. Who is FlyLady? Well, that's a whole other post.

1 comment:

Armyguy said...

Thanks for posting :) I love the story about the pot of gold.

I know we talk about everything but it is nice to see it in print. I have read many of your posts several times when I need a taste of home.

Thanks Baby

Brent